SUNDAY November 12th Meeting
SUNDAY November 12th
@ 2pm 60 Wall Street in the Atrium (first floor lobby)
For those not familiar with 60 Wall Street, it is actually the address of Deutsche Bank. The meeting will be held in the public atrium of 60 Wall St, which is to the left of the main entrance if you are standing on Wall Street and facing the building.
This is what the building looks like:
Sunday, November 6th at 2pm in the atrium of 60 Wall Street.
Another gathering will take place this Sunday, November 6th at 2pm in the atrium of 60 Wall Street. For those not familiar with 60 Wall Street, it is actually the address of Deutsche Bank. The meeting will be held in the public atrium of 60 Wall St, which is to the left of the main entrance if you are standing on Wall Street and facing the building. We will be holding up a sign that says Complex Unity NYC, just for the purposes of finding one another.
The proposed agenda for Sunday is as follows:
- Introductions, explanations and logistics
- Open Communication: One common thread we can be relatively certain of is that each of us has felt underrepresented at some point. We want to create a new way of communicating with one another. We stress the importance of ‘Step up, Step Back’ in our group and in the communication at OWS in general. This is an effort to allow space for everyone to speak. It involves being conscious of our interactions, personally assessing the number of times we share, and evaluating how necessary something is to say to the group. It also means opening the space for those who haven’t contributed and would like to.
- Common goals/common values: Because of the free-form nature of OWS and the dedication to allowing for multiple viewpoints in the same space, it has been somewhat confusing to understand what feminism means to each of us. It seems that some folks focus on women, while others look at all marginalized peoples. We cannot proceed with any actions until we have consensus on this most basic issue, and our first priority is to create a dialogue about it. The hope is to figure out how to all work together.
- Visions for a Day of Action: Once we are on the same page, we can begin planning. We will break up into pairs for brief brainstorming conversations.
- Details for a Day of Action
- Possible name for day
- Where & how (date etc.)
- Items directly related to the day (march/rally/teach-ins/permit)
- How to organizes weekly meetings to plan for the day
- Potential for Celebrity Speaker(s) for the event
Like OWS at large, this is a process. Everyone’s participation and patience is greatly appreciated and valued. Please pass along if you know someone who might be interested. See you on Sunday!
Notes from Day of Action Planning Meeting 10/30/11
Common goals/common values
Possible name for day
Where & how (date etc.)
Items directly related to the day (march/rally/teach-ins/permit)
How to organizes weekly meetings to plan for the day
Celebrity Speaker proposed for the event (added at meeting)
Linking up with women of color w/ experience in anti-violence movement meeting uptown (added at meeting)
Explanation of how/why group formed- plan day of action around feminists/women issues at OWS
Introductions- 16 women present
Logistics- hand signals explained
Common goals/common values
1st meeting: This group came out of need to address specifically feminist issues and form to do so- agreed on day of action on feminist issues and anti-oppression;
2nd meeting: Intersectionality; importance of addressing privilege; step up/step back; what communities to outreach to; names/branding
This is a committee to plan for a day of action (today is the 3rd meeting)
Another group meeting tentative name: Women dismantle Wall Street – tying it into violence again women;
Suggested we should connect to them in very strong way.
They have suggested November 25th as their day of action b/c of international day of against violence against women
Suggested that we at least support their group even if our day is not the same.
One member discusses how are women affected by capitalism/this economy and the way the economy is set up- what do women in other countries have that women in the US do not? Eg: health care not through employer or husbands employer; paid parental leave for both parents.
One member disturbed with Gloria Steinem being a speaker b/c she supported Bill Clinton dismantling safety net and heath care etc.; the member speaking doesn’t want a nicer gentler democratic party, she wants change . They would prefer Gloria Steinem not speak on this day.
Linking up with women of color w/ experience in anti-violence movement meeting uptown
System of capitalism is violent against women
Suggestion: Perhaps we can do a two day event. They do their event on Thursday the 15th and then we do a 2nd day that weekend that is anti patriarchy and capitalism
Everyone seems to want to connect (want to know more what they are planning) but also don’t only want to solely focus on violence against women.
Suggestion: Women of color should lead this rather then asking them to join us.
Farah (founder of Blackwomen’s Blueprint) said that there is a possibility for they are having next meeting or additional at their space and we join.
Comment: this group not only to represent women but also transcommunities and other marginalized communities; if we team up with other group would be good to still represent these other communities.
Maybe we all march together and then speak out of all these different issues.
Everyone agrees that personal testimonies should be used in day of action.
One member- really want to focus on feminist issues and not all marginalized people’s issue
Feminist issues encompass a lot more than just women’s issues
Don’t Mourn-Organize! (via Justseeds )
Happy General Strike Oakland and Everywhere!